Friday, September 02, 2005

From Chunk to Van Gogh



If I could close my eyes and be anywhere right now....I would be with these guys... on a search for a pirates' treasure.










Then I'd meet Howard Pyle and we'd draw pirates all day. This man's paintings are amazing....an incredible artist. Here's a little bit of info.

"Pyle began teaching art (for free) in 1896; his students included beloved artists Jessie Wilcox Smith, N.C. Wyeth, Frank Schoonover, and Maxfield Parrish. These artists and their students are collectively known as the Brandywine School, and they redefined how generations of children picture bloodthirsty pirates, noble queens, and valiant knights."

I grew up studying comics and cartoons...just literally obsessed with it. My father would open my mind and introduce me to artists such as Edward Gory, Ronald Searle, Andrew Wyeth, Frederick Remington, and Maxfield Parrish. I mean, he probably has every book on them. What my point is..well, I never really appreciated them until I went to art school and realized what geniuses they were. To study life is the key to great art and these guys mastered it. It's funny how looking at their artwork in books and on the web is great....but to actually go to a museum and see their original work...well that just knocks me off my feet. I remember going to the Vincent Van Gogh exhibit at LACMA and being blown away by his work. I mean, I've seen all of these paintings before in books....but to be right next to the artists paint. Wow..I can't even explain the feeling. To capture a moment and entertain people from all around the world is a miracle. These artists leave me speechless.


Ronald Searle





Maxfield Parish
(even his name was cool!)






Here's some more info on Howard Pyle. Pyle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, but that's actually Flaming June (1895) by Lord Leighton, not Maxfield Parrish. Lord Leighton's stuff rocks too.

Jeremy Bernstein said...

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the correction. I replaced Lord Leighton's painting with a Parish. Man, the internet can really be misleading. I have to be more careful.
:)

Cheers.